Sunday 20 March 2011

Heat

New design non-roll up mini stove

Nothing can compare to the heat you can get from a nice wood burning fireplace.  Why not bring this heat into the outdoors with you!  My very first wood burning stove and tent were both homemade/modified designs.  The tent I used was a GoLite Shangri-La 3 with a stove jack sewn into the top peak.  The stove I used was a titanium roll up stove similar in design to the stoves sold by Ti-Goat.  I bought the titanium sheet and used titanium end plates to complete the stove.  The weight breakdown was as follows:


GoLite 3 with pole (incl. stuff sack) - 1208g
Roll Up Stove - 900g


Original roll-up titanium stove
While 2.1Kg isnt exactly light its not half bad for a winter shelter...for a first try anyways.  Since my first efforts with wood heated shelters I have been able to knock nearly a kilogram off that weight, but lets not get ahead of ourselves.


First stove and tent under a setting sun



4 comments:

  1. Hey there. I really like your roll-up stove design and was thinking about making something similar for a SL3 or other small tent. Have you posted instructions at all on building it? What you used for the body? the ends look like titanium camping plates, cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scott,

      Thanks for the compliments. I dont have a build log on that stove but here's some threads that should be helpful. The end plates are indeed titanium camping plates and the main body and chimney is made from a section of titanium foil (purchased from a company called "Titanium Goat"). Search around on the zombie squad site, there are few build threads on similar stoves.

      http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26369&highlight=

      http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27683

      http://www.titaniumgoat.com/windscreens.html

      Let me know if I can be of any other help!

      Delete
    2. Here's some more details on my stove:

      http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=26369&p=1711270#p1711270

      Delete
  2. Curt, thanks for all the info. This looks like a fun project. BTW - I like the tyvek shelter, what a great idea.

    ReplyDelete